Saturday, April 11, 2015

2 out of 3


This weekend my dad won some box seats at the Utah Jazz game.  We went up and it was a really fun game. The food was great, the game was exciting, the only downside was we lost by just one point. 
There was one second left.  Gordon Hayword launched up a desperate three ball that went nowhere -but wait- he was fouled! We have a chance to tie the game up and send it into overtime. Hayward had to nail three free throws in a row, and with the pressure that is no easy task. 

First shot (arena = silent)………………………………….. swoosh, good!

Second shot (arena = silent)…………………………………swoosh good!

Third shot (arena = silent)…………………………………….ka-dunk- NO-good!




We lost by one point and we were so close.

The experience made me think, what had happened if Gordon Hayward had missed the first shot instead of the last?  It is interesting but I think that we as fans would have been much less disappointed had we lost early than had we lost at the very last shot as we did. I was very impressed that in the post-game interview when asked, Hayward simply said, I took a shot and it didn’t go in. 

What a great perspective.  I think we would do ourselves a great favor if we put things into their proper perspectives rather than getting caught up in the emotions. If we lose by one at the last second or a thousand it counts all of the same, we lost.  The same applies if we win. 



For me I am going to focus on not letting things get to me, but rather realize that if I lose I lose and if I win I win, and barring ethics I am not going to worry so much how I ended up there. This way I won’t let my emotions lead me to irrationally get upset about things that I really don’t need to beat myself up about.     

No comments:

Post a Comment